Are you making a list of New Year’s resolutions this year? Chances are you have made similar resolutions in the past yet this time you have told yourself it will be different – you will commit, you will give 100%. So why is it different this time? What will you do differently to make sure this time next year you are not writing the same list?
Planning your steps to success
For many it is easy to fall into the trap of making promises to yourself without fully considering what action is required to hit the goal. I love the saying “fail to plan, plan to fail” because if you don’t have a plan outlining how to get what you want then how will you get it? It’s like going to a foreign country and being given a destination to go to without a map. Sure you may get there eventually but it will be the long way round with many bumps, twists, turns and mishaps. If you have a map, you will know how to get there and should you choose to take a detour then you are in control of the outcome.
Is there something you want to change in 2017, whether it be to lose weight, get fitter, spend more time with the kids, be a healthier role model or even a change your career or move house, once you have the goal in mind simply follow these steps to create and design your path to success.
- Set SMART goals, you need to be specific and clear in what you want. Then it needs to be measured, monitored and have a deadline. The A and R stand for achievable and realistic yet I like to think that anything is possible, just a long as it is realistically planned. So you can shoot for the moon, just know you may need a spaceship to get there! Lastly, you absolutely must have a deadline to create a timeframe to work to plus provide the urgency to get moving.
- Create your plan – break this down into what you will do on a monthly, weekly and even daily basis to take one step forward. It is best to work backwards from your end point and whatever you plan to do, it must be easily integrated into your currently lifestyle. Check back in to your plan and review it weekly to prevent straying too far from your desired track.
- Get visual – create a dream board with pictures, images and words that you associate with your destination. Place images everywhere – in your bedroom, car, kitchen, bathroom and at your desk. These constant reminders will help you stay on track when the road gets bumpy and distractions arise.
- Shout it from the roof tops! I’m serious, tell as many people as you feel comfortable to share with. Not only are you creating accountability but you are also creating your support group. If those around you know what you want and why, they are more likely to help you get there.
- I think I can, I know I can. Believe you can and affirm this daily.
Follow these five steps and hang on for the ride of your life!
About the Author: CJ’s Fitbumps – CJ is a fitness and nutrition expert who specialises in helping expectant mums and new families. Through her business, she aims to help boost pre- and post-natal fitness, and the nutrition and wellness of mums and their bubs!